26. The student couldn't _____ what the teacher was trying to explain.
27. A person of 18 should stop _____ on his parents.
28. There is virtually no _____ to this grammar rule.
29. General Brown was older than any other officer in his regiment, but he was unwilling _____.
A. retiring from military service
B. to be retired by military service
C. to retire from military service
D. to be retired from military service
30. Your window wants _____, you'd better have it _____ this week.
A. cleaning, do
B. to be cleaned, do
C. cleaning, done
D. being cleaned, done
31. The lost car of the Lees was found _____ in the woods off the highway.
B. be abandoned
D. to be abandoned
32. I'd just as soon _____ rudely to her.
A. that you won't speak
B. your not speaking
C. you not speak
D. you didn't speak
33. Whatever _____ the reasons for it, we cannot tolerate this disloyalty.
B. have been
34. The fact _____ the carriage was warm sent him to sleep.
35. _____ is true everywhere in the world, you can rent a room by the day, week, month, or year.
C. The same as
D. Such as
36. My English teacher is extremely strict about grammar. I dare not talk with him _____ I get every grammatical point straight in my mind.
37. Nowadays, school children do _____ just _____ classes. There are many of them demanded by their parents to learn something else useful in the modern society.
A. no more than, attend
B. no less than, attending
C. far less than, attending
D. far more than, attend
38. _____ that the trade between the two countries reached its highest point.
A. During the 1960's
B. It was in the 1960's
C. That it was in the 1960's
D. It was the 1960's
39. Weather _____, the picnic will be held as scheduled.
B. should permit
C. will permit
40. The large houses are being painted, but _____.
A. of great expense
B. in a lot of expenses
C. at a great expense
D. by high expenses
41. This is a most peculiar letter. What do you ____ of it?
42. Now that we've identified the problem, we must decide on an appropriate course of ____.
43. Since the couple couldn't ____ their difference, they decided to get a divorce.
44. We attended a ____ of the new manufacturing process.
45. How many people do you think his car would ____?
46. It never ____ my mind that he might refuse the request.
47. People become less ____ to new ideas as they grow older.
48. Is he really ____ to judge a brass band contest?
49. The new airport will be ____ from all directions.
50. The team's recent wins have now ____ them for the semi-finals.
26-30 CCCCC 31-35 CDCAB 36-40 DDBDC 41-45 BAAAB 46-50 CAABC