26. _____ no cause for alarm, the old man went back to his bedroom.
A. There was
D. There being
27. The brilliance of his satires was ______ make even his victims laugh.
A. so as to
B. such as to
C. so that
D. such that
28. If he _____ in that way for much longer he will find himself in the bankruptcy court.
A. carries on
B. carries off
C. carries by
D. carries away
29. Although the false banknotes fooled many people, they did not ____ close examination.
A. look up
B. pay up
C. keep up
D. stand up
30. He must give us more time, ______ we shall not be able to make a good job of it.
31. When there was a short ______ in the conversation, I asked if anyone would like anything to drink.
32. You can do it if you want to, but in my opinion it's not worth the ____ it involves.
33. The main road through Little bury was blocked for three hours today after an accident ____ two lorries.
34. Very few scientists _____ with completely new answers to the world's problem.
A. come to
B. come round
C. come on
D. come up
35. Hotel rooms must be _____ by noon, but luggage may be left with the porter.
36. The ____ physicist has been challenged by others in his field.
37. I'll try to get in touch with him but he's_____ ever at home when I phone.
38. With hundreds of works left behind, Picasso is regarded as a very ____ artist.
39. The city suffered ______ damage as a result of the earthquake.
40. Undergraduate students have no _____ to the rare books in the school library.
41. We were all taken ____ by the news of the Chairman's resignation.
42. My _______ to his proposal was not quite what he expected.
43. Rickets can result from a diet _____ in vitamin D.
44. Peter clearly had no ______ of doing any work, although it was only a week till the exam.
45. Sports are a good ______ for a young boy's energy.
46. Visitors are _______ to beware of pickpockets.
47. It was nearly an hour before the sleeping pill took _____.
48. Tom read it through quick so as to get the ____ of it before setting down to a thorough study.
49. As it turned out to be a small house party, we ____ so formally.
A. need not have dressed up
B. must not have dressed up
C. did not need to dress up
D. must not dress up
50. We threw water over the woman to bring her_____.
26-30 DBADB 31-35 CAADC 36-40 BABCA 41-45 CDBDC 46-50 DBCCC